LED Lighting for Correctional Facilities
The revolutionary WalaLight System provides adaptable Kelvin-changing LED lighting for correctional facilities that can save substantial money on energy costs and provide solutions to intricate maintenance and security issues, while also improving inmate behaviors, moral and attitudes. WalaLights are available in an array of sizes and shapes to fit any correctional facility lighting need. These energy-efficient LED lights can reduce energy usage by up to 85% as compared to standard prison light fixtures using fluorescent, incandescent or CFL bulbs, which can lead to dramatic savings in facilities in which lighting is required 24 hours a day/seven days a week. Additionally, with a 100,000 hour lifespan, the need for problematic prison lighting maintenance in correctional facilities is virtually eliminated. The behavioral benefits of the adaptable LED lights also provide numerous benefits in this unique environment.
Maintenance and Behavioral Benefits
In addition to dramatic cost savings, WalaLights can provide a needed answer to problematic lighting maintenance issues in correctional facilities, as well as improving behaviors, attitudes and morale.
- Solves problematic lighting maintenance issues – When a lightbulb needs to be changed in a prison, there are numerous steps that must be taken to ensure the safety of correctional workers and to maintain order. This results in logistical and security challenges. With a lifespan of approximately 100,000 hours (up to 20 years), WalaLight’s correctional LED lighting systems require almost no maintenance or replacement, dramatically increasing overall cost savings.
- Improvements in behaviors, attitudes and morale – The quality and brightness of light can affect behavior, attitude and morale. Improvement of healthy sleep patterns, as well as the proven effect that light can have on the human body and psyche, can reduce the psychological stress posed by incarceration. WalaLights can easily be adapted to provide bright white light or warmer, dimmer light to suit any situation and can provide a healthy alternative to natural daylight, something that most inmates do not get enough of.
- Appropriate for use in all correctional institutions and environments – WalaLights offer benefits for varied types of correctional facilities, including federal, state and local prisons, jails and holding facilities.
- Multi-use variable lighting – Correctional facilities may require varied lighting in different locations or during varied times of the day and night. WalaLights offer user-friendly controls that allow the Kelvin setting and dimmer to be set individually for each light to suit changing environments and lighting needs.
WalaLight LED lighting solutions offer the following economic benefits for correctional facilities over the standard prison light fixtures:
- Extreme reduction in energy costs – WalaLights require up to 85% less energy to operate than traditional prison light fixtures using fluorescent, incandescent and CFL bulbs. They also reduce load on air conditioning systems, further diminishing energy costs.
- Drastic savings in lighting maintenance and replacement costs – With a lifespan of approximately 100,000 hours (up to 20 years), WalaLights require almost no maintenance or replacement, dramatically increasing overall cost savings. Because the long-lasting LED lights rarely require maintenance or replacement, they also offer other substantial benefits for correctional facilities (see below).
- Quick payback period – Lighting is left on 24/7 at many correctional facilities, resulting in a payback period that is typically less than one year and can be as little as eight months. Since the LED lights can last as long as 100,000 hours or 20 years, operational savings can be millions of dollars over the long term.
- Replaces all lighting types – WalaLight correctional LED lighting can be recessed, flush-mounted or suspended on ceilings and walls and can replace fluorescent lights, fluorescent tubes, high hats, down lights or can lights.
- Cash flow positive replacement – With no upfront costs required, as well as monthly savings on energy and maintenance costs exceeding monthly finance charges, replacing correctional facility lighting with WalaLights results in the project being cash-flow positive. Correctional LED lighting can be especially important in a system that is already under harsh financial constraints.